Bryan’s Spinach + Goat Cheese Pizza
I’m a huge fan of pizza, come-on who isn’t?! I never minded getting a frozen pizza from the grocery until just recently. For some reason or other the taste just isn’t cutting it. To remedy this I’ve been baking my own, with my own homemade crust. It is seriously the best thing I’ve ever done and I’m making a new pizza every week! I love it.
This week my husband picked the toppings and since he’s such a sweetie-pie I named it after him, my handsome little muse. I however added caramelized onions to the toppings, I just couldn’t resist! They really kick it up a notch! So I guess it should be called “Bryan’s Spinach, Bacon and Goat Cheese Pizza with Elisa’s Carmalezized Onions.” But that’s just too long I suppose.
3 slices of Cooked Bacon
8 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 oz Goat Cheese Sauce ½ cup
½ bag of Baby Spinach (or about 2 hand-fulls)
1 medium Onion (cut into thin slices)
1lb Pizza dough homemade here (I use Martha Stewart’s Basic Pizza Dough Recipe) or feel free to use store bought crust or dough
2 teaspoons Olive oil + more for spreading on baking sheet and brushing on crust if using homemade
¼ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450 degree F. Brush a large rimless baking sheet with olive oil, set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large sauté pan over Med-High heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer add the onions. Stir occasionally. (Depending on your stove you may need to turn down the heat to medium or medium low to prevent the onions from drying out or burning) After about 10 minutes add a pinch of salt and the optional ¼ teaspoon of sugar to help the caramelization along. Cook for another 10 minutes stirring frequently. (If you notice your onions are drying out too much you can add just a bit of water to the pan)
- Remove the onions from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 1teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. Heat until shimmering (it won’t take long) add your spinach stirring frequently until wilted. Once wilted, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Gently stretch the dough into an oval and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the edge of the dough with olive oil.
- Top with the tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, spinach, caramelized onions and cooked bacon.
- Bake on the center rack, rotate the sheet half way through, until crust is golden, about 15-19 minutes.
This has been my favorite pizza yet! It smelled like Dewey’s Pizza (my fave!) in my house, so I knew I was doing something right. Yum!
What are your favorite topping combos? I’d love to hear!